Canada; From The World In Our Hands.

As I am sitting on the plane right now, I started to wonder about what Canada has to offer, so I opened some of the notes I've digitalized before and wanted to share with you, fellow traveler.

Canada is an interesting country, with the country having British, French, and even American influences, which sometimes compete in almost every aspect of the traditions celebrated there from the media we consume and to their cuisine and even the sporting events they celebrate.

Some Canadian traditions that tourists always seem to be attracted to are celebrated on the east like Quebec, Ontario, and of course their capital; Ottawa happens around February, where they celebrate a tradition called 'Winterlude'. Run by the Department of Canadian Heritage, this event is one of Ottawa's tourist magnets, managing to attract hundreds of thousand of visitors each year. They mostly celebrate it around the same time every year; starting on the 5th of the second month and is said to end on the 20th. 

Winterlude in Ottawa


What to do in Winterlude? Well if the name of the festival itself doesn't give you any ideas, then you're just like me. I've always been in Liyue, there's rarely any snow there other than the rain to cool you down. I'm sure I've mentioned this. Anyways, no shame if you've never seen snow as I am writing this, I can't wait to see it even if I can't participate in the festivities like skating on the world's largest natural ice skating rink, the Rideau Canal. 

I can only dream for now, thought I should be grateful that I'm at least one step forward than I once was before. 

I mentioned sporting events I believe. Here's another peculiar thing about Canada; their sporting events. Lumberjack sports. 

The Lumberjack sports are where the participants put their logging skills to the test, they have various types of competitions which will test your skill as a lumberjack like chopping, logging, and several other disciplines. 

Lumberjill participating in the world championship
If you are one to doubt the legitimacy of this unique sport event like me, then maybe you should check out the Lumberjack World Championships which are held annually in Hayward, Wisconsin. Where contestants come from the U.S, Canada , Australia, and New Zealand. 

Other than culture and their day to day life; which I'll get to once I've managed to get a credible source. The other thing to take note of what makes Canada unique, and just like any country is their cuisine. 

Now, Canada has three foundations to their culture; American, French, and British. Which will most likely bring up not only colorful cultures and traditions, but also delicacies. 

Most from what I've read on the internet on the phone Hu Tao gifted me, one of the most recognizable dish from Canada is called 'Poutine' which is slang in Quebec that stands for 'a mess'. 

The reason they call this dish 'a mess' is because at first glance, you might as well pass it off as a lunch made by a child from how it looks. 

Corbishley, Nicky. "How To Make Poutine". Nicky's Kitchen Sanctuary, 2019,

It consists of bite-sized fried potatoes (whether it be wedges or french fries, either is fine), beautifully glazed with gravy and topped off with cheese curds. I might try making them sometime soon.

I believe that's most of the interesting bits of the notes I've gathered so far. I hope this has been as educating for you as it has been for me. I apologize if I have overstepped or had some false information, I hope you've enjoyed reading this entry, traveler. 

-Vago Mundo 


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Contract to End All Contracts.

Poutine; a thought.

Fly, Fly Away.